PLTL is an active learning program incorporated into several courses within the department of Biological Sciences at Florida International University and within a variety of different disciplines and universities across the world. Each week students in a course offering PLTL meet with a PLTL Peer Leader in small teams (6-12 students) performing tasks in a workshop format. A PLTL Peer Leader is a peer who has successfully completed the course and are trained to facilitate workshop for the course. The Peer Leader’s role is to guide current students through workshop content each week as a team. Students are responsible for bringing their textbook/notes from class to the session in order to receive full credit for being there. Further policies can be found on the PLTL syllabus.
*** Enrollment of PLTL will be as follows for each particular subject ***
*** Please check your e-mail for enrollment confirmation and login to Blackboard to access your PLTL course. ***
Note: Schedule of available sections is subject to change depending on the availability of Peer Leaders and university space.
Each course has a different tab. Make sure you are referencing the correct course.
FIU PLTL Staff
- Program Director: Jose Alberte
- Program Associate Director: Alberto Cruz
- Program Assistant Director: Nataly Rodriguez
- Program Administrative Assistant: Shannon Gil
- Program Faculty Chair: Thomas Pitzer
- Course Liaison and Administrative Assistant to Chair: Roberto Pereira
PLTL will begin on the following dates for each subject:
YOU SHOULD HAVE ALREADY REGISTERED BEFORE ATTENDING !!
- General Biology I: Wednesday, January 18th; Sessions run Wed-Sat.
- General Biology II: Wednesday, January 18th; Sessions run Wed-Sat.
- Evolution: Thursday, January 19th; Sessions run Thurs-Mon.
- Intermediate Human Physiology: Wednesday, January 18th; Sessions run Wed-Fri.
- Human Biology: Saturday, January 21st; Sessions run Sat-Tues.
- Histology Lab: TBA
- Ecology: Friday, January 20th; Sessions run Fri-Tues.
- Introduction to Microbiology: Friday, January 20th; Sessions run Fri-Tues.
- General Microbiology: Wednesday, January 18th; Sessions run Wed-Sat.
***To confirm your enrollment, please see your blackboard course shell page***
Please read carefully!!
Students, if you enroll into more than one section for a subject you will be dropped from all sections. You are ONLY allowed to enroll into ONE section per subject. If you need to drop your one section, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once dropped, you will have the opportunity to enroll into another section, as long as there are still seats available. Once a section is full, we DO NOT do overrides.